10 Reasons Why -22 Degrees is Not That Cold When You Are a True Minnesotan
It’s cold out there today. Really cold. Like -22 degrees and it feels like -45 with the windchill.
If you are a true Minnesotan you go outside and think, Oh, this really isn’t that bad. It’s cold, but it could be worse.
There are a few reasons why we stay here when it is this cold outside. We are smart enough to figure out how to keep warm in this polar vortex.
10 Reasons Why -22 Degrees is Not That Cold When You Are a True Minnesotan:
1. You own all the proper winter weather gear. This may include a parka, mukluks, a hat with ear flaps, and proper mittens. You don’ t care what you look like because at least you are warm.
2. You own at least 3 pairs of long underwear. Yes, you may look a little bit puffy today at work but your bum is nice and toasty.
3. You have a space heater at your desk. Did your feet get cold on your way into work? That is not a problem because when you get to work you can put them right in front of your space heater.
4. Almost everyone knows how to jump a car or knows someone who can jump their car and can do it in 2 minutes. We carry around the tools to get our cars started no matter where we are because it is the smart thing to do.
5. We all own at least 40 blankets. One of them is heated so that if it gets really cold we can plug it in and be nice and toasty when we sleep.
6. If you have something warm to drink it makes you think that you are really warm. We all have supplies of hot cocoa, tea, and coffee to make when it gets frigid. Your mom also used to put in those little marshmallows when you were younger.
7. When there are days like this we have a supply of movies, games, and indoor activities that keep us occupied for many hours. Plus, we may even get to sleep in.
8. We all know alternative (less safe) ways to heat our homes by using space heaters, cooking something in your oven, and lighting candles. You usually end up with a hot dish or a pot roast, it’s a win/win.
9. It gives us an excuse to cuddle up with those people you love. Body heat helps.
10. We know it’s not THAT cold because it could always be worse. It could be -40 degrees and it feels like -70 and it snowed 3 feet overnight and then it sleeted for that very brief warm up. IT CAN ALWAYS BE WORSE.
Lets be honest, we love it here in Minnesota, even when it is colder than Antarctica which is only at -11 degrees today. We stay because of the people, the culture, the food, the community, and because summer is amazing here.
because I am a true Minnesotan
How do you stay warm on days like this? What do I need to add to my list?
7 responses to “10 Reasons Why -22 Degrees is Not That Cold When You Are a True Minnesotan”
Trackbacks / Pingbacks
- January 7, 2014 -
We are hardcore.
Hmmm, I have all of the items you listed above going over here, the hot beverage, nummy food in the oven, uggs on the feet, jcrew flannels, cashmere scarf to block any drafts as I go from room to room… kind of fun and getting lots done to day even a fresh coat of nail polish, it is kind of fun to be forced to slow done for a while… yes even in this temp. I do love MN. Thanks for the great tips
You must be a true Minnesotan!
well said! people keep screaming about the cold, but hold up- bought on your coat and grab your chai and be a champ about it — it’s not that bad! and.. truth be told.. nothing is that bad if the sun is still out 🙂
Some people have no choice to get out there and do their jobs. Like farmers and the emergency services. We learn how to cope as true Minnesotans. Fingers-crossed that there is sun for them!
Although, I think it is smart to be safe. If you don’t have to go out, don’t.