I adopted a cat from Animal Ark
I have a new member of my family! I adopted a kitty from Animal Ark this past weekend. She is cuddly and very sweet.
Animal Ark is a no-kill shelter located in Hastings. What makes this shelter special is the homelike atmosphere for the animals. When I went to visit, it was nice to see the natural light and comfy quarters for each of the cats. Although, the shelter is small it does amazing things.
When I adopted my cat I felt good knowing that if anything horrible were to happen to me I would be able to bring my cat back to Animal Ark and they would find her a new home and not put her to sleep.
My kitty needs a name and I need your help. I am looking for a name for her that has something to do with Minneapolis or Minnesota. A special thanks to my twitter followers who have suggested the names Loring, Hennepin, and Nicollet.
If you have any ideas for her name please comment on my post, tweet me @mplsgossipgirl, or post on Mplsgossipgirl’s Facebook wall.
You can visit the Animal Ark website to donate or look for new family member for your home: http://www.animalarkshelter.org/
because we may have a new cat video star
Dining Out For Life 2013
This Thursday night is the perfect night to go out to eat. Each year over 180 restaurants in Minnesota participate in Dining Out For Life, this year it is on Thursday, April 25th. A percentage of proceeds from participating restaurants go to the Aliveness Project and RAAN that provide support for those living with HIV/AIDS.
It just makes sense to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner out on Thursday. Not only do you get to eat great food, but you get to give as well.
Visit the website to see which restaurants are participating and at what level: HERE
Here are a few restaurants that I suggest that you should visit this Thursday:
- The Saloon – 100% of both Lunch and Dinner will be donated. Located in downtown Minneapolis, The Saloon is known for its billboard of gorgeous men.
- Rustica Bakery– 40% of breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Rustica is one of my favorite spots in Uptown. You can check out my recent review HERE.
- Acqua– 35% of dinner. This is one of my favorite hidden gems. Acqua just opened a new restaurant in Forest Lake. Read my review HERE. See photo above.
- Blackbird Cafe– 35% of breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- George and The Dragon– 35% of lunch and dinner.
- Hazels Northeast– 35% of breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- Herkimer– 35% of dinner. This brew-pub in Uptown is a great place to get together with groups. Good options for all types of eaters. Get together a group of friends and head out there on Thursday night.
- Moto-i – 35% of dinner. A sleek Uptown hotspot with a great variety of items on the menu. Try the ramen or the bibimbap Hopefully, the weather will be nice enough that people will get to enjoy the patio.
- Republic– 35% of lunch and dinner. I have been meaning to try this place.
- Spill the Wine– 35% of lunch and dinner. Now in a new location, this is one of my favorite places to go on a date.
If you are in Duluth, Sir Ben’s is giving 35% of both lunch and dinner.
I would highly suggest that you make a reservation at participating restaurants since it can get very busy!
because giving back is easy and delicious
Give to the Max – Give MN
Tomorrow is one of my favorite days of the entire year. It is Give to the Max day! Last year with the help of Kare 11, I was able to give $1,000 to one of my favorite programs in the Twin Cities.
Whatever your favorite non-profit might be, tomorrow would be a great day to make a donation to them. You can give as little as 10 dollars and 100% of it will go to your selected charity or non-profit.
The reason why you need to give during Give to the Max day is because every hour there is one Golden Ticket up for grabs. One person who makes a donation each hour will be granted an extra $1,000. One lucky donor chosen at 11:59 PM will also receive an additional donation of $10,000. There are also bonus funds available to organizations that collect the most donations, no matter if they are $10 donations or $5,000 donations.
Here are a few local places that I think deserve your donations:
The College of Saint Benedict (or your local College or School)
Minneapolis Institute of Arts – They want to buy LED lighting for their galleries that will save them as much as $117,000 a year.
Make sure that you look up your favorite non-profits HERE and donate during Give to the Max day.
because giving feels good