10 Reasons Why -22 Degrees is Not That Cold When You Are a True Minnesotan
It’s cold out there today. Really cold. Like -22 degrees and it feels like -45 with the windchill.
If you are a true Minnesotan you go outside and think, Oh, this really isn’t that bad. It’s cold, but it could be worse.
There are a few reasons why we stay here when it is this cold outside. We are smart enough to figure out how to keep warm in this polar vortex.
10 Reasons Why -22 Degrees is Not That Cold When You Are a True Minnesotan:
1. You own all the proper winter weather gear. This may include a parka, mukluks, a hat with ear flaps, and proper mittens. You don’ t care what you look like because at least you are warm.
2. You own at least 3 pairs of long underwear. Yes, you may look a little bit puffy today at work but your bum is nice and toasty.
3. You have a space heater at your desk. Did your feet get cold on your way into work? That is not a problem because when you get to work you can put them right in front of your space heater.
4. Almost everyone knows how to jump a car or knows someone who can jump their car and can do it in 2 minutes. We carry around the tools to get our cars started no matter where we are because it is the smart thing to do.
5. We all own at least 40 blankets. One of them is heated so that if it gets really cold we can plug it in and be nice and toasty when we sleep.
6. If you have something warm to drink it makes you think that you are really warm. We all have supplies of hot cocoa, tea, and coffee to make when it gets frigid. Your mom also used to put in those little marshmallows when you were younger.
7. When there are days like this we have a supply of movies, games, and indoor activities that keep us occupied for many hours. Plus, we may even get to sleep in.
8. We all know alternative (less safe) ways to heat our homes by using space heaters, cooking something in your oven, and lighting candles. You usually end up with a hot dish or a pot roast, it’s a win/win.
9. It gives us an excuse to cuddle up with those people you love. Body heat helps.
10. We know it’s not THAT cold because it could always be worse. It could be -40 degrees and it feels like -70 and it snowed 3 feet overnight and then it sleeted for that very brief warm up. IT CAN ALWAYS BE WORSE.
Lets be honest, we love it here in Minnesota, even when it is colder than Antarctica which is only at -11 degrees today. We stay because of the people, the culture, the food, the community, and because summer is amazing here.
because I am a true Minnesotan
How do you stay warm on days like this? What do I need to add to my list?
Minneapolis Snow Emergency
One of the worst parts of living in Minneapolis is that there never is enough parking. If you live in Uptown or Downtown, park on the street, and make it through an entire winter season without being towed, call it a success.
They do the plowing on the snow emergency routes to help emergency vehicles safely travel around Minneapolis. So, it does make sense. But, when you go out to find your car in the morning and have to taxi to the impound lot it might still make you mad.
Snow emergencies have been upgraded in the last few years. They now have an iPhone ap and also text alerts. If you have to park on the street make sure that you get these, you need both because the ap does not tell you when a snow emergency has been declared. It will save you a whole lot of money by avoiding the impound lot.
Also, if you own or rent a house make sure that your sidewalks are shoveled and ice-free, it is the law to keep them safe for walkers.
You can find all the important information HERE.
I hope you have a fun and safe winter season.
Because snow emergencies are just an excuse to walk to the bar and have a few drinks to warm you up.
Lutsen, MN – Weekend Trip
Need to get out of town for the weekend? Want to hold on to the winter for a little longer?
Head up to Lutsen, MN. They have gotten over 21 inches of snow in the last 9 days.
You can now go skiing on the beautiful mountains in northern Minnesota. Many of the resorts have ski and stay packages and rooms open because until 9 days ago they were missing the snow needed to have really great ski runs.
Check out more information here.
Because a beautiful place can change your mindset.