Okay, don’t take this the wrong way. But, I am having a very hard time finding a place to eat dinner with a few friends on New Years Eve without a pre fixe menu. It is making me a little annoyed.
A pre fixe menu is a set meal with a set price. They usually are many courses and sometimes come with wine pairings. You normally see pre fixe menus at restaurants like La Belle Vie and restaurants that do farm to table.
I love a good pre fixe menu when it makes sense. Although, I don’t have a ton of cash this year to spend on a luxury dinner out for NYE. So, doing a pre fixe menu would be a stretch.
These are my ‘must haves’ for NYE:
- A place where I can have a tasty meal.
- A cocktail.
- It doesn’t need to be fancy.
- Quiet enough that I can have a conversation with my friends.
- It fits in my budget.
Since I am on a budget, I cannot afford a $40 per person meal plus the cost drinks and a tip. That turns very quickly into a $200 dinner with two people.
I am not a hater of pre fixe menus. When pre fixe menus work, they work. It works at restaurants that are used to pre fixe menus or are farm-to-table when they don’t know what ingredients they will have for the day until the farmer shows up. For example: I went to Saffron and had a pre fixe there and it was excellent. All the components fit perfectly together, it was just enough food, and I didn’t feel like I was being ripped off.
Saffron is doing a pre fixe menu for NYE at the restaurant and they are also hosting a last dinner meal with 6 courses and a location that you will find out 3 hours before the event. If that is not exciting I don’t know what is. Although, a bit unaffordable on my budget at $180 per person with wine parings, tax, and tip included.
My twitter follower @mspclothing suggested Piccolo for a place with a good pre fixe menu. I haven’t been to Piccolo yet, but it would make sense that would be great. Also, Veronica (@Andrjensn) suggested Restaurant Alma. Another good pick for pre fixe menus.
Now, my only annoyance with the pre fixe menu is when it doesn’t make sense. I can spot a restaurant trying to either save cash or turn over diners quickly from a mile away.
Is this what dining out on NYE has come to in Minneapolis? I hope not.
When I see restaurants with pre fixe menus that are priced way above what their normal priced menu item is–it does not make sense to me. You are loved for what you do day to day. Why not keep a good thing going? Maybe, add a special to your normal menu.
I completely understand that NYE is a big day in the restaurant business. But, I don’t think the solution is an overpriced, not well thought out, and a quickly served pre fixe menu. If I am looking to eat at a place that fits my ‘must haves’ someone else must feel this way too.
Once place that reached out to me was The Butcher and The Boar. They will have their regular menu available for NYE. This would be a wonderful atmosphere to spend NYE with friends.
Because it’s a New Year!
Where do you think I should go on NYE? Do you know of a restaurant that has a great pre fixe menu? Or one that is affordable? Also, what places are your favorite for NYE?
UPDATE: Blackbird has a few specials but also will be serving their normal menu. Thanks @Andrjensn!
No Instagram images were found.
- @JeniEats Yay!!! Congratulations!!! My job change has been wonderful and I know yours will be too. 1 week ago
- *opinion - my gosh @twitter can we please get an edit button. twitter.com/mplsgossipgirl… 2 months ago
- Also since #SocialMediaDown. Anyone get any creative emails from brands? 2 months ago
- Hey 👋🏽 #SocialMediaDown! I’m looking for data people. Anyone see a change in advertising today specifically around… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 months ago
- RT @HachetteUS: Enter for a chance to win a copy of FIRST LOVE, TAKE TWO by Sajni Patel. Retweet this tweet & follow @HachetteUS to enter.… 2 months ago
Top Posts & Pages
- Twin Cities Pride 2018
- Rock the Garden 2018
- The Copper Hen Minneapolis
- 5 Tips to Easily Brave the Cold in Minnesota
- Guthrie Theater Instameet with MNCommunity
- Top 5 - Madden's Resort in Brainerd MN
- Why the column about Jana Shortal made me so upset
- Revival - Fried Chicken has arrived in Minneapolis
- Minnesota State Fair Pictures 2016
- Always Stop at Surdyk's Wine and Cheese Shop
- June 2018
- May 2017
- January 2017
- September 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- February 2016
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- April 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012