It’s a Pre Fixe NYE
Okay, don’t take this the wrong way. But, I am having a very hard time finding a place to eat dinner with a few friends on New Years Eve without a pre fixe menu. It is making me a little annoyed.
A pre fixe menu is a set meal with a set price. They usually are many courses and sometimes come with wine pairings. You normally see pre fixe menus at restaurants like La Belle Vie and restaurants that do farm to table.
I love a good pre fixe menu when it makes sense. Although, I don’t have a ton of cash this year to spend on a luxury dinner out for NYE. So, doing a pre fixe menu would be a stretch.
These are my ‘must haves’ for NYE:
- A place where I can have a tasty meal.
- A cocktail.
- It doesn’t need to be fancy.
- Quiet enough that I can have a conversation with my friends.
- It fits in my budget.
Since I am on a budget, I cannot afford a $40 per person meal plus the cost drinks and a tip. That turns very quickly into a $200 dinner with two people.
I am not a hater of pre fixe menus. When pre fixe menus work, they work. It works at restaurants that are used to pre fixe menus or are farm-to-table when they don’t know what ingredients they will have for the day until the farmer shows up. For example: I went to Saffron and had a pre fixe there and it was excellent. All the components fit perfectly together, it was just enough food, and I didn’t feel like I was being ripped off.
Saffron is doing a pre fixe menu for NYE at the restaurant and they are also hosting a last dinner meal with 6 courses and a location that you will find out 3 hours before the event. If that is not exciting I don’t know what is. Although, a bit unaffordable on my budget at $180 per person with wine parings, tax, and tip included.
My twitter follower @mspclothing suggested Piccolo for a place with a good pre fixe menu. I haven’t been to Piccolo yet, but it would make sense that would be great. Also, Veronica (@Andrjensn) suggested Restaurant Alma. Another good pick for pre fixe menus.
Now, my only annoyance with the pre fixe menu is when it doesn’t make sense. I can spot a restaurant trying to either save cash or turn over diners quickly from a mile away.
Is this what dining out on NYE has come to in Minneapolis? I hope not.
When I see restaurants with pre fixe menus that are priced way above what their normal priced menu item is–it does not make sense to me. You are loved for what you do day to day. Why not keep a good thing going? Maybe, add a special to your normal menu.
I completely understand that NYE is a big day in the restaurant business. But, I don’t think the solution is an overpriced, not well thought out, and a quickly served pre fixe menu. If I am looking to eat at a place that fits my ‘must haves’ someone else must feel this way too.
Once place that reached out to me was The Butcher and The Boar. They will have their regular menu available for NYE. This would be a wonderful atmosphere to spend NYE with friends.
Because it’s a New Year!
Where do you think I should go on NYE? Do you know of a restaurant that has a great pre fixe menu? Or one that is affordable? Also, what places are your favorite for NYE?
UPDATE: Blackbird has a few specials but also will be serving their normal menu. Thanks @Andrjensn!
About mplsgossipgirlI am a girl loving life, food, and friends in the great city of Minneapolis. I share the events/food/places from the cities and hope that it helps you find things you come to love as well. If you want to share with me or help me with a topic contact me on twitter @mplsgossipgirl or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Back again! @ Minnesota State Fairgrounds instagram.com/p/sS-IPtNoUL/ 3 days ago
- Hey @katie_LF @BeingZhenya @jenniferprod. I want to do a panel for Blogger Tips and Tricks for @MNBlogCon. You in? 3 days ago
- I will be out at the Fair for the last time today! It's a magical place. 3 days ago
- @StacyMeJohnson I would love to hear your ideas for budget friendly wedding venues @MeetMinneapolis! 4 days ago
- @StacyMeJohnson @MeetMinneapolis I know this one isn't exactly budget but I went to a fantastic wedding recently at the @MillCityMuseum. 4 days ago
Top Posts & Pages
- Top 10 Things to do at The Minnesota State Fair
- Best Free and Cheap Stuff at the Minnesota State Fair
- Best All You Can Eat Sushi in the Twin Cities - Aji
- Smack Shack- Why I love this place
- 10 Reasons Why -22 Degrees is Not That Cold When You Are a True Minnesotan
- Chiang Mai Thai
- Peninsula Eat Street Minneapolis
- So, you waited until the last minute to plan Valentine's Day in the Twin Cities?
- Caffrey's Deli
- C.J. Chenier at The Ordway
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- April 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012